Saturday, April 7, 2012

Beautiful family

Every year our family holds a Family reunion the Saturday before Easter. This is a tradition that my Grandma Wass started many years ago. I really cannot remember an Easter when we did not do it. When Grandma was alive we would even meet together more often; Grandma's birthday sometimes, many Thanksgivings, and Easter. My Grandma had 20 children, the first child did not live, but the other 19 did, and they are a wonderful close family.
 Aunt Clara is the oldest living child, she lives in O'Neals, California (between Coursegold and Fresno), she is still sharp as a tack and enjoys sewing and working in her yard, she keeps is close contact with her siblings, and many family members. Aunt Clara remembers so much of growing up with a large family, and many of the things their family faced. No one in the family seems to feel that they were a poor family, all the siblings remember what fun and love there was in the home.
 Uncle Bill is the oldest living boy - he said today that being the oldest one left was/is very hard - he is an interesting person to talk to, full of history. Also spoke to Aunt Mary, who is one of the younger ones, she and Aunt Gladys remember lots of wonderful times, and I don't think they would trade their childhoods with anyone. Uncle Rodney and Uncle Ralph are the youngest, both now retired - but you would never know if with all the work they do and both still work (sometimes in different areas then they used to, but still doing the things they love)
Uncle Chet from Nevada did not make it this year, I missed him and Aunt Janet a lot. He is/was always known as the "joker" of the family. Uncle Kenny lives right over the hill from me, I hear he was quite the looker of the boys - still is I think. Aunt Ruby was there today, such a sweetie, when you get her on a good day she is quite the story teller, and I hear she was very pretty as a girl (still pretty).
 Uncle Jack lives right next to where we always hold the reunion (fish and game), he looks better than he did as a young man. He seems to always be there when you need him, when my Dad has a stroke I remember him going with Mom frequently to the hospital. He also was a wonderful companion to Aunt Jean who was widowed for many years.
 My Dad  "Buck" was one of the older ones (#5 I think) He liked to fight in his younger days, but you would never know it from the man I was raised by, always enjoyed his garden, reading, and being on a tractor, he would sometimes cook when he was off work in the winter - don't tell my Mom, but I think he was a better cook than she was. Mom had to cook more frequently so often things were thrown together kinds fast, but not Dad - everything was chopped and simmered to perfection. I miss them both so much - but their legacy continues. Every year at the reunion someone always comments to me how they miss my Mom.(even though it has been 9 years since she passed away)
 Part of the family I cannot leave out is the husbands and wives of Wass family, they picked some wonderful life partners. Aunt Shirley, Aunt Pat, Uncle Kenny Williams, Aunt Rena, Aunt Doris, and Aunt Marilyn, Aunt Janet,
many have passed away - one of my favorites was Uncle John (Clara's husband) Such a sweet man.
I am thankful for all of my family. Here are a few pictures I took today. I did record some of the story of the Wass family - hope to share it soon.
Beautiful daughter Cathy - so glad she got to come this year and did not have to work

EB and cousin Kendra - both so good with the kids!

Shelby and her Easter egg hunt treasures!

5 comments:

  1. Love Family reunions...looks like you had a blast.
    Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this up. You did a great job. I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to it on my Facebook page. I'm looking forward to hearing the recording some day. Cousin Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben - we are so blessed to have added you to our long list of cousins - look forward to the day when you come spend some time with Tom and I. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Ben for posting your blog. I hope we can make a future Easter Celebration. My Grandmother was Lois Wass Bettencourt. I remember when my Grandmother was alive and we met Ben for the first time. If memory serves me correctly, it snowed at that Easter Celebration. Thank you for your blog posting Julie. Robin Borba Besotes

    ReplyDelete